Monday, January 22, 2007

And the Tests Keep Coming

Apparently, transplant recipients and donors have to spend more time and money on the transplant prep test and appointments than on the actual organ swapping event. It is hands-down the most thorough health eval I have ever seen. I am beyond impressed with the level of care and attention both my folks are getting at MCV. The transplant coordinator is wonderful and she has been very responsive to all my parents questions and concerns.

My mom will be going through her OB/GYN screenings this week. My dad has his colonoscopy tomorrow (fun - fun) and then he sees a dermatologist on Thurs. So along with his normal M/W/F dialysis, he's got a full week of appointments. They are both still waiting on the definitive tissue match for my mom's kidney - they are doing a DNA test which will take 21 days (from early last week). But the docs still want her to move forward with all the prep work since all the preliminary tests show them to be a match.

Due to the snow, dad has not golfed this week, but knowing Virginia it will be 60 degrees next week and he'll be back out there between doctors appointments. My mom is a battling the same virus that sent my dad to the hospital with pneumonia, so hopefully she will be feeling better soon.