Wednesday, February 7, 2007

All Pre-Op Testing Done

Today was the last of the tests that my parents needed before they were given the green light for the transplant.

Mom:

1. Colonoscopy: 100% cancer and polyp free. The nurse prepping her for the procedure was again in shock at my mom's good health especially considering she hasn't taken any meds in decades - and she is 60.

Dad:

1. Dermatologist: No problems. Doc saw no reason for him to even be there.

2. VCUG: While easily the most unpleasant test he's ever had done, no concerns or problems detected.

Now they are waiting on one last appointment with the hepatologist to give the final go-ahead to both transplant teams. That appointment is on the 17th of Feb. Until then, they will just resume all normal daily activities - no restrictions besides my dad's dialysis.

I did learn something interesting from my mom today - apparently my dad's kidney's are regaining function (because he is back on a strict gluten-free diet). So they will not be removing his kidneys at all. They will just be adding my mom's as an extra safeguard in case his two eventually fail or can't bear the burden. So he will have 3 kidneys and my mom will have 1. How crazy is that? At least this way, he can give her back one someday if she needs it:)

It never ceases to amaze my how little people know about the dangers of gluten on people with autoimmune diseases. My dad's kidney failure was caused by autoimmune lupus of the kidney. If the doctors had told us immediately (back in 2003) about the gluten-free diet, he might not be having this procedure. There is a known link between MS, RA, GB, JD, HD, GD, MG, JA and many other autoimmune diseases and gluten. Seriously - if you know anyone with an autoimmune issue, please encourage them to try a GF diet. It is worth the sacrifice. Sorry - I'll get off my soap box now...